Work in Progress: We Live, Move & Breathe Discovery

We Live Move and Breathe Discovery

Here's my Wednesday work in progress - a mixed media collage (quelle suprise, no?) inspired by the idea that we live, move and breathe discovery. I'm pretty happy with this composition (nothing is glued down yet), but I'd rather like to try luna moths instead of the butterflies. The scale is pretty good, though. I was worried about the butterflies overwhelming the scale of the astronaut, but seeing it at a distance, I think it works. Moths might fade slightly into the background and make for better visual balance.

Discovery background

For the background, I took a piece of matboard and hand-colored the background with Copic B34: Manganese Blue. I really like the rich, watermarked texture I can get with Copics. Then I used a cotton ball to sponge silk paints in blue and black over the top of that. Why silk paints? Because I have them and I haven't been using them for silk painting. They dried quickly and went on nicely. I'll be interested in seeing how the silk paints take the final top coat of gel medium.

Discovery type detail
I think the type needs to be bigger, more readable at a distance. It's an important part of the composition, and those words were my springboard into the concept.


3 comments:

  1. Luna moths would be so excellent for this one... I am quite enjoying your collage art posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gel medium like modge podge? That's neat. I'm going to show it to Brynn. :D What a lovely piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topical theme. I hope sometime to take on Curiosity on Mars.

    ReplyDelete